JUICES AND SMOOTHIES ARE THEY REALLY HEALTHY?
Increasing numbers of people start the day with a juice or a smoothie, but is it as healthy as they claim?
First, the differences between a juice and a smoothie are discussed more explicitly. After that, the advantages and disadvantages are shown.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A JUICE AND SMOOTHIE
A juice is made in a centrifugal juicer or a slow juicer. The machine separates the juice from the fibers, leaving pure juice behind. A centrifugal juicer squeezes with an average of 10,000 revolutions per minute the juice out of the fruits and vegetables. In contrast, a slowjuicer rotates at about 90 revolutions per minute, which means that there will be no excessive heat and the vitamins and minerals will remain better preserved.
A smoothie is made with a mixer or a blender. Vegetables or fruits are mixed with a liquid (water, yoghurt, milk, juice) to pulp. As a result, the blending process retains the fibers in the smoothie.
- The biggest advantage of a smoothie or a juice is that a concentrated amount of enzymes, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants will be ingested in one go.
- A study, called the Kame Project, concluded that people who drink fruit and vegetable juices at least three times a week are less likely to develop Alzheimer’s disease than those who drink juice once a week or less. The results of this study have been published in The American Journal of Medicine.
- A major disadvantage of juices is that the fibers have been removed. Fibers are important for a proper bowel function, they give a feeling of saturation and they contain few calories. As mentioned earlier smoothies include fiber. However, in a finely ground form. A study published in The Journal of Agriculture Food Chemistry has shown that finely ground fibers can have a different effect on the human body. The researchers found that carrots chopped into very small pieces are more effective in lowering cholesterol.
- In addition to containing vitamins and minerals, fruit juices and fruit smoothies contain a large amount of sugar. This is not good for your teeth and also causes peaks and troughs in your blood sugar levels. However, it should be noted that fruit smoothies unbalance the blood sugar less than fruit juices. This is due to the presence of the fibers. If there are fats or proteins added to the juice or the smoothie, the absorption of sugars in the blood is also inhibited.
- Many people do not chew their juice or smoothie and thereby skip an important step. Enzymes are released by chewing, which ensure that the nutrients are more easily digested and absorbed. In addition, the brain also gets a signal of saturation in a timely manner.
- Fresh juices and smoothies contain a large number of bacteria in a short amount of time. Therefore, it is recommendable to drink them as soon as possible.
- Many green juices and smoothies are rich in raw spinach, kale or broccoli. Raw cabbage and spinach contain significant amounts of goitrogens. Excessive use can slow down thyroid function. Cooking these vegetables ensures that the amount of goitrogens decreases significantly.
The question still remains whether drinking juices and smoothies is really healthy. In my opinion it is better to drink a juice or a smoothie, if you do not have time to eat a piece of fruit or vegetables.