Oil pulling, also called oil swishing, is one of the oldest natural remedies to detox the body. This technique originated five thousand years ago in India and is becoming increasingly popular in Western society. It is easy to use and very cheap.
WHAT IS OIL PULLING?
It basically means that oil is pulled and pushed through the teeth and all around the mouth for a certain period of time. During this process the metabolism will be intensified and toxic substances are released through the mucous membranes into the saliva. The saliva then mixes with the oil and after twenty minutes it needs to be spit out.
The effectiveness of this remedy is enhanced by the large amount of vitamins, minerals and anti-bacterial properties of the oil.
On the internet you can find many articles about the benefits of oil pulling. It would, among others, have a positive effect on gum disease, toothache, discolored teeth, headaches, bronchitis, hormonal problems, bad breath, eczema, sleeping problems, candida, allergies, skin problems, constipation, diarrhea, hypertension and thrombosis.
Up to now scientific evidence only shows that oil pulling helps reducing oral bacteria, plaque and gingivitis. Given the fact that toxic substances and infections from the mouth can spread throughout the bloodstream, it would make sense that measures against these bacteria can have an influence on other parts of the body.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Ideally start the process in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Take one tablespoon of cold pressed organic oil in your mouth. According to traditional methods sesame and sunflower oil are most effective. Other oils such as coconut, walnut and grape seed can also be used.
- Swish the oil in your mouth and between the teeth for twenty minutes. According to Dr. Bruce Fife, author of Oil Pulling Therapy, it is important to adhere to this time frame. The body needs this time in order pull off the bacteria. If you swish longer the body will reabsorb the toxins again.
- Make sure you do not swallow any oil, because it contains a lot of toxins.
- After the twenty minutes you need to spit out the oil in the trash can and rinse your mouth with warm water.